Masterchef contestant Sarah Tiong has teamed up with Season's to create this long awaited for simple, aromatic and super tasty Salted Egg Tofu dish!
The salted duck egg flavour can be described as rich, creamy, hints of sweetness and umami flavours all in one.
Salted duck egg has been all the rage for a while now, largely popularised by the famous Irvins' salted duck egg snacks. So why not try making this seriously addictive flavour at home and with Sarah Tiong's own recipe?!
Even easier? We've created a Sarah Tiong's Salted Egg Tofu - DIY Cook Kit with all the ingredients and recipe in a click of a button!
It's a really simple recipe which you can use to entertain the guests or devour yourself!
Best served with warm fluffy steamed rice, it's a winner.
- 3 salted duck eggs
- 450g Firm Tofu (also known as “regular tofu”)
- 1 cup tapioca flour (substitute with rice flour or plain flour if needed)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ½ teaspoon Pepper Neutral oil (e.g. rice bran, vegetable, canola, peanut)
- 30-40g butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 long red chillies, finely sliced
- 4-5 sprigs fresh curry leaves, stalk removed
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 spring oinion
- Coriander leaves
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Once boiling, add the duck eggs and boil for 7 minutes then remove and immediately plunge into cold water.
- Once the eggs are cool enough to handle, discard the shells. Remove all the egg whites, reserving them for another use. Retain the egg yolks and mash them with a fork in a small bowl until fine. Set egg yolks aside.
- Bring a frying pan or wok with about 1 cup of oil to medium heat.
- Season the tapioca flour with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Drain and then cut the tofu into small cubes, roughly 2cm in width. You should end up with around 24 cubes. Dust the tofu in the flour mixture then fry in batches of 8. Once fried, drain the tofu on paper towels.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil to a hot wok or frying pan on medium-high heat. Fry the curry leaves. Once they turn translucent, immediately remove them from the oil and drain them on paper towel. Retain oil in the wok or frying pan.
- Turn the heat of the wok or frying pan down to medium. Melt the butter into the oil. Then add the chilli, garlic and spring onion. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the salted egg yolk to the pan or wok. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes until very foamy and fragrant.
- Add the fried tofu to the egg yolk mixture and toss and stir fry until well coated (approximately 20-30 seconds). Turn off the heat. Add half the curry leaves to the tofu and toss again.
- Serve the tofu and garnish with the remaining curry leaves, finely sliced spring onion and coriander leaves
Best served with steamed rice - Enjoy and let us know how you went!